11 November 2007

Gutsy Gibbon Takes The Scene


Ok, you may not expect this, given my new Red Hat wardrobe (thanks to Kerry's cousin Kiely and her husband), but I am a huge Ubuntu Linux user. Gutsy Gibbon just recently came out (version 7.10) and I finally upgraded our personal laptop. Unfortunately, I still had some Windows crud on it, so I decided to totally wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7.10 with an iso disk. This worked fine, and the new work put into having the machine recognize the video card came off without a hitch this time. I did struggle with the dumb Broadcom 4328 wireless card once again, but I just got that working yesterday with ndiswrapper and a well timed update on the ubuntu forums. Now I am enjoying the beauty of the Compiz Fusion effects. Pretty sweet! Will update this XPS machine soon. That's the beauty of Linux and the Open Source movement--you can do things in your own time and things will still work. Try that with upgrading one machine to Vista and keeping the rest at XP. Do you think that would happen?

No comments: