05 June 2006

Let's Get It On...


Time for the Stanley Cup Finals. After vacationing in Ocean City, Maryland, the fam and I are home (at 2 AM this morning!) in time to get my game face on for Game 1 vs my Carolina Hurricanes and the Edmonton Oilers. I'll be meeting some friends there to tailgate, then heading up for the first in what promises to be a great series of games.
---
While in OC this weekend, my Dad and I attended the NASCAR Race at Dover, Delaware. Those of you who know me know how much of a smart a$$ I am. So what do I do? Take pictures of all the NASCAR stuff with my jersey and hats on. It was actually pretty interesting. When we got to our parking spot (at 5 AM!!! Yuck!), as soon as I got out, a guy called to me, 'What are you doing with that Hartford Whalers jersey on?' It was my Hurricanes jersey, but I saw his point. Then we chatted for a few minutes about how bitter he was with Kormanos (join the club!), but he assured me he liked to see the 'team' do well. We parked next to 3 guys from NY, and they started in on 'Ending their Sabres' run. Awesome! Later on, my Dad and I walked through some souvenir booths, and got our pictures taken in front of Dale Jarrett's 88 Ford. The people in line behind me shouted, 'Yeah, that's right--the Canes are going to win the Cup!' The guy taking the picture said, 'What's the series now?' I told him we won, and in his Southern drawl, he said, 'Yeah!' See! Hockey (at least Hurricanes Hockey!) is alive and well in the South. And yes, us NASCAR fans can like it as well. Remember, I'm a Northern boy, and most of the license plates of the 140,000 fans at Dover were PA and NY. I even saw a few Quebec, Ontario, and Maine plates.
GO CANES!!!!

No comments: